23 Mar 2013

1st Tantang Dirimoe - King of the Jungle

I participated in this challenge, 1st Tantang Dirimoe, which started in early February 2013. The challenge was to make something, jewelry or other type of art or craft which should be inspired from the painting "In Letzter Not" by Raden Saleh. You can read all the details from this link. The link is also provide you with the end results from each participant. My opinion on the end results is just one word..... Amazing...... Amazing to see how one painting can be translated into many different form - as many as the participants, which is different one from another and...... amazing to see that there are so much talents involving in the process of creating. I can see that all participants has given their best to translate the painting into one or more pieces of creation. My eyes have difficulty to choose because all are beautiful.

Now about my end result. I made this choker from copper wire, druzy stone and faux pearls...... the choker and the focal point are crocheted wire. The focal point is also can be use separately as a brooch because I put a pin for attaching the brooch to the choker. 

King of the Jungle

King of the Jungle

The clasp

When I saw the painting for the first time, I was attracted to the man and the horse.... I could see the surprised face of the man and the afraid gesture of the horse.... I liked to translate them into something, I even had bought some beautiful horse charms.  Because I was not an art person, I had to find a way to be able to absorb all the elements of the painting.... so I put the painting in my laptop and make it as a background of the desktop, so that I could see it every time I was using the laptop.....


And eventually what I then saw was the lion, so strong and powerful.... with its golden mane..... flying to attack the horse......the King of the Jungle..... and that's what I made....

For me being a winner is not that important, but the most important thing that I really appreciated from this challenge is that it gave me a valuable lesson on how to look for an inspiration and how to translate and process the inspiration to become something handmade by me.

2 comments:

Jennifer Cameron said...

So amazing! Love this piece.

Just wanted to pop by and thank you for visiting my BSBP reveal today. I appreciate you taking time to leave a comment. Have a great weekend!

Diah Anggreni said...

Thank you Jennifer...